The 12th century Stogursey castle.
A panoramic view of the castle ruins and the moat (photo: Marc Dawson) click on photo for further views.
The present castle was built by William De Courcy in the 12th century. There was probably an earlier fortification on the same site. Elaborate water courses were built to bring water from Stogursey Brook to the moat, and then via a leat to a mill. The present mill probably dates from the early 18th century and was a working mill up until 1948.
The castle was prominent during the latter half of the 12th century and the 13th century, it then declined in importance until the late 15th century when it was restored for use as a centre of estate administration. By the 17th century it had become a farm and gradually deteriorated until it was acquired by the Landmark Trust in 1981 and it was restored to its present condition.
The twin towers of the gatehouse date from before 1300 and some of the masonry of the castle walls date from the 12th century. The thatched cottage inside the gatehouse was built soon after 1600. The smaller arrow slit in the northern tower is medieval the others are victorian. The modern oak drawbridge occupies the position of a medieval one dating from about 1300 the remains of which were discovered when the moat was drained for castle repairs.
The cottage is now let for holidays by the Landmark Trust and this pays for the upkeep.