The Ancient Parish of Stogursey.
During the two centuries following the Norman conquest many towns were created in England.Some of these towns grew into prosperous cities, for example, Salisbury. Others failed to make any headway at all; Stogursey is one of these.
The parish of Stogursey lies between the foot of the Quantock Hills and the Bristol Channel, a tangle of winding lanes and isolated farms. The dispersed Settlements of Burton, Shurton and Stolford are typical of many parts of South West England.
William De Falaise held Stoke (Stoche as it was called in the Domesday Book of 1086) from William the Conquerer in reward for faithful service. Emma, the only daughter and heiress of another William de Falaise married William de Curci and by the late 12th century the village had become Stoke Curci.Over the centuries the soft Somerset dialect has changed the name to Stogursey.