The church of St Andrew Stogursey.
Above is a picture of the church taken from the village square(click on picture for further views) St Andrews was built at the end of of the 11th century in the typically Norman tri-apsidal form. Between 1100-1107 the church was given by William De Falaise and his wife to the prior and the monks of the Benedictine priory at Lonlay in Normandy. By about 1120 a small community of monks had settled here and had built a priory. Nothing remains of the priory apart from the restored Dovecote at the nearby Priory Farm. In about 1175 the monks extended the church eastwards to its present dimensions to form a choir, the chancel arches of that date being splendid examples of Norman architecture. Worth mentioning here is the magnificent peal of six bells which have been maintained over the years and are rung regularly. The Tenor weighs a mighty 25 cwt: 1.25 imperial tons.
Stoke Courcy priory, being the home of foreign monks sent its profits to Lonlay and was considered an alien house. Its lands, along with all the other alien priories was sequestered by Henry V in 1414 and where thus in crown hands when Henry VI made his foundation at Eton in 1440. The revenues from the priory along with other properties was then used to endow the college. Further details of this magnificent church is available from the local post office and the church itself.
Home Birds Eye View Friends of St Andrews